Hay's Dock, Lerwick, Shetland
Hay's dock forms part of the new Shetland Museum and Archive in Lerwick. Whilst the main Museum building was designed by BDP the adjacent B listed dock needed expert consultants. Work consisted of the restoration and repair of the oldest surviving man-made dock in Shetland, the fingerpier, the area around the dock and the boat-building shed. Built in 1815 by the firm of Hay and Ogilvy it forms an important and integral part of Shetland's maritime heritage. Throughout traditional methods and materials were used, such as lime and wrought iron.
The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund, Historic Scotland Shetland Island Council and others.
Scottish Design Awards 2008, Commendation.
BURA Award for Best Practice in Regeneration 2008, Winner .